starter kit for beginner

Hello to all,

After several years of free flying experience i decided to try PPG.

I am 1.77m, 85kg, 31 years. i decided to go for a moster 185 plus with clutch and as a wing ... well here i am not decided, so maybe you can give some hints. all in all i will be flying xc, not interested in acro. in my region the altitude is about 450 m. as a wing i am looking at a synthesis 2 26 or a nucleon xx 22. a little bit afraid of the nucleon due to higher aspect ratio/performance.(everything comes with a cost), but for PG i fly an EN C wing and that's the reason i didn't take nucleon out of the discussion yet. honesty i do not know how much PG experience counts for PPG. the question is the size of the wings also. on 26 size(synthesis 2) i will be on max and on 29 in the middle, nucleon xx the same. i have read threads about this but still not 100% sure. i will fly about 60 hours / year, i suppose, my PG experience is 6 years, mainly mountain flying. are these wings loaded on max confortable on start and landing? especially on landing, if you are in the middle of the interval you should come more comfortable, but still on max you are in the certified interval and yeah... it should be safe. at least in PG is like this and i have no trouble landing but i don't have 30 kg on my back :).

so:

1. which glider?

2. which size ?

3 other tips/hints/personal expeciences are appreciated

thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the powered world

Personally I would recommend the Niviuk Kouger2 23m or the 25m , They are very efficient and a pleasure to fly

You are more than welcome to demo one

If you would like any more info drop me a line on 07811345567

Danny

unfortunately i am too far away from you guys ... i would love to try the wings ... it's clear it is the best choice. i am asking here in Romania, to see if someone has those wings, but until now no luck.

at least from the loading point of view, what would you suggest? The thing that bothers me the most at the moment, is the landing speed, due to risk of damaging propeller/ frame/motor/wing in case of a fall. for example would i see a difference in speed with a loading on max, or at minus 15kg from top wing load? if yes can this be approx?

• 2 weeks later...

My advice coming from a free flying background as you do... Don't bother with a Moster..  It's noisy, high vibration, and drinks fuel like a ford 427 also suffers from vapour lock and can be a pig to restart in the air....   I know I had one.. Great motor tho very reliable with lots of power Great for Slalom style for pilots under 80kg or just starting out in Slalom

If you want a motor for XC flying, Thermalling there are much better units out there,  

I used to be able to get 1.2h flying Full Speedbar comp flying on my 16m normal burn was about 9.6LPH W.O.T ...My 250 only does 8.1lph full throttle but i dont need W.O.T to maintain level flight on Full bar giving me around the 2hour mark full speed..  The best Eco figure i could tune out of the moster was 4lph my 250 is half that at 2lph... running standard jets and 1.5lph comp tuned and pitch tweeked...  

Try looking at the Miniplane top 80. Thor 80cc Thor 130...  

Wing wise....

That will depend on how experienced you are with your PG flying and where you live.. Mountains can be very unforgiving and most PG pilots i know who live in the mountains tend to go for Lower end wings...  It depends what style of flying to want to do... People/pilots/dealers will only recommend the wings they own as theres IS THE BEST!!! 

Forum folk cant tell you what wing is best as they don't know you or your flying style... 

Thanks morgy for the inputs. I went on vittorazi also due to the dealers/constructors of paramotors from my region. I hope that there is no big difference between moster plus and a thor 130 or 190 from consumption/confort point of view. Configuration will be moster 185 plus with clutch and nucleon xx. I had a suggestion of a hadron xx 22 but i think is too much from the start even if i fly an en c paragliding in free flying from some years.i have 85 kg so with equipment and paramotor and wing somewhere up to 120 kg. With 11 l tank i hope to get 2.5 - 3 hours on flying xc. Btw can you please tell me what w.o.t means?

what does "far wrong" mean? :)

Hopefully it will come to a good result. I had a look on the Polini motors... nice technology no doubt but i think they are a little bit more complicated from technical point of view. more influence from bikes i suppose.

Does anyone has real consumption with nucleon xx in different combinations of motors, in xc flying?

• 1 month later...

Bought the moster in the end, due to the reasons that i explained above. Great motor until now. at the moment i fly a free fly wing sky antea and due to this i can not tell the real consumption... i need only half power for this wing :). we'll see with the reflex wing that i am going to buy in the near future. at the moment i'm looking for a nucleon 25/27 or a speedster 24/26. with the 24 or 25 i would be on top on of the DGAG weight and with the bigger versions let's say about 13/15kg under. what would you recommend? i would like the speed of the smaller ones but let's see the consuption loss :) thanks of all your advices until now!

• 2 weeks later...

update

Bought a speedster 24 in the end and i don't regret it. Landing it with a long flare is a charm, no problem and the takeoff is easier than i thought. Main brakes are long and not very responsive, as all say but the tip steering is very nice. Stable and fast. I like it a lot. consumption... about 3.5 -4 lph at this flight, but with trimmers out in a long flight i expect it to go up for sure. With the trimmers wide open i don't need WOT to maintain flight level, still power available for climbing... no problem there. Keep you posted after an XC. Now i can go distances, i have some resources if the wind tries to keep me away from home :) .All in all very happy about the decision.

Safe flights / good weather !