is reserve suitable and where to mount?

Bogashenfin

Hi,

An Apco MD Bi reserve came along with my paramotor but hadn't been mounted, my all up weight is 140kg and I am wondering if this reserve is suitable for me?

Also if it is, where would be the best place to mount. I will be sending it for a repack and inspection if it is suitable for me.

Please see attached photos.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Bogashenfin

If you send it for inspection and repacking I expect that they will point out it's age. Reserves are generally considered to have a 10 year life.

Whether this is because they degrade after that age or it is so manufacturers can sell you a new one I don't know, depends if you are brave enough to find out! :shock:

http://www.apcoaviation.uk/reserve-parachutes.html

google says its a mayday bi (bi-place = tandem) there may be a date of manufacture on one of the gores.

i have an edel tandem reserve from 1998 theres nothing apparently wrong with it and there was no retirement age from the manufacturers when i bought it but the bhpa advice is to replace every 10 yrs.

Yes the label is attached to the skirt at the bridle, I haven't taken the reserve right out yet. What length should the bridle be to ensure correct opening height?

As you can tell I am new to PPG and not sure about reserve mounting, bridles/lanyards and attaching the reserve.

Thanks for your replies.

The two end of the reserve usually go to the shoulder attachment points with a 7mm mailon but I suggest you get in contact with someone to help you repack and fit in then practice some deployments so you know how to get to it and how to refit . The BHPA have repack events to teach these skills.

Going to check with my local club about connecting etc, just like to get my head round it first. I am in n ireland so may have bother getting to a BHPA reserve course.

My harness has a lanyard connected to both sides of the harness and runs down a velcroed holder on the right hand side of the harness.

The lanyard is stitched straight to the harness with no malions. Does this do away with the split lanyard on the reserve?

Sorry for so many silly questions.

ok, sounds like you have an integral Y bridle on the harness but also an integral Y bridle on the reserve. most reserves nowadays come with a single bridle. there may be some loops where the integral bridles are sewn in for you to use a maillon to attach your reserve bridles-

can you do some pics of the harness bridles?

This used to confuse me. I went to a repack event and got taught how to repack my reserve. Also common sense on routing y bridles. Simple advice first. If you're unsure, don't rely on forum posts to give you confidence to do it yourself.

After that, get someone who knows what they are doing to show you. Pay them for it. If you're willing to send it away for a repack, at least take it and learn something. Y bridle routing is easier. Just imagine what it will look like when deployed. Make sure it can deploy, e.g. Don't route it inside the frame like I did until someone pointed out how stupid that was. Looked nice and neat but that doesn't matter when you need it. Use proper maillons. They are not cheap but if it's designed to take an impact load and then get you to the ground safely, it needs to work.

Thanks it looks to me that the harness integral Y bridle does not have any other loops to use maillons which is a shame . I had a PG harness that had both integral plus maillon loops on each shoulder.

I think you would have to attach both ends of the reserve bridle to the single end of the harness bridle, it's not ideal as there is a risk of entanglement in the loop. I'm not sure how you are training but there must be an instructor or other experienced PPG pilot near you that could have a look. You need to be completely confident and familiar with your reserve system.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks for the advice, I will be completing training and getting advice on the correct connection of reserve from a small club near me.

Just wanted to know if it was going to be possible with my setup!

One last thing, is side or front mount the best positions for deployment or are there any other options?

Glad you found local help.

No such thing as a silly question, just ask any questions, especially with safety stuff. But remember you need to confident yourself to deal with checking things as part of your pre flight inspections.

I have a right hand reserve pocket on the apco parajet harness, I'm used to right hand deployment from paragliding. The front reserve mount position is great for accessibility but I feel too enclosed with it and sometimes I like to fly with a front cockpit.

The advice I had when learning was if you have a side mount reserve fit it on the other side from the throttle hand.

After you have decided then hang yourself up in the harness and practice

Look, grab,pull,throw

And throw the reserve.

There is bound to be some repack events usually at start of pg year. Or get yourself off on holiday to flyspain, take your reserve and practice deployments and repacks and enjoy long xc flights.

Cheers