I would like to tell you about an avoidable accident that I had at the bore chasers flyin. I had previously checked my paramotor and it was fine. As I hadn’t flown this paramotor before, I had run it on my back and walked around the field to get an idea of the power and stuff. Everything was fine. After laying my wing out and getting prepared for my flight I started the motor on the floor to warm it up again. Big mistake.
It immediately went into full throttle. It slammed into me as I tried to duck behind the seat. My right shoulder jammed against the cage. The propeller shredded the netting and sliced through the support spars. Then slammed into my arm. The propeller shattered and flew off. This happened in just a few seconds. I managed to turn the machine off and stood up not knowing what to expect. My arm was completely numb.
I was very very very lucky. Apart from a very bruised arm and some cuts I got away with it. I was amazed. I could have so easily lost fingers, even my arm. I had many small nicks to my face and neck where small bits had hit me. If they were any bigger I could have lost my life.
I am not telling you this to stop anyone starting their paramotor on the floor as I don’t think it will make any difference. All I ask is please please bear this in mind when you start your motor and be careful.
I was at the flyin. I had expert help within less than a minute due to the brilliant organisation from Simon Westmore. A first aider treated me straight away and patched up my cuts. I was then taken to hospital who eventualy told me I hadn’t broken anything. When I got back, my kit had been brought back and stashed in my tent. Thanks Cas.
We inspected the throttle later and found it sticking. It had been fine before, so check your throttles before starting every time.
Just think. If I was on my own or just with one other person. Things would have been much worse.