Insurance

Yes, BHPA membership includes full 3rd party liaibility insurance. If you intend to do any free flying in UK this is probably the best option for you. I've had it since 2005 and not needed to claim yet, but those who have found it covered their needs adequately. Extra cover is available for theft, accidental damage, personal accident, trips abroad etc via the BHPA's Airsports Bureau Ltd.

Joint Aviation is about £20 cheaper than BHPA for 3rd party liability (it doesn't have the monthly magazines or club membership) so probably the best option if you only paramotor. Theft and damage can also be added for extra premium (but not whilst in use) and both policy's have clauses about theft from unattended vehicles.

Best to check the wording (and price) of both types of policy if you want more than just 3rd party, otherwise it is more down to who youy train with. A BHPA school will automatically provide membership / insurance, whereas a PMC or other freelance instructor will probably mean you going to Joint Aviation for cover.

PS - insurance is like carrying a reserve; an extra cost that you will hopefully never get to use. I (and probably many others) have gotten away without either in the past, but once you have the extra peace of mind they provide you will never go back to being without.... :wink:

Good point Gordon - I assumed anyone seeking BHPA insurance would be undergoing training with them ...

On the flipside, do you think Joint Aviation would cover anyone who wasn't suitably trained or experienced ? For instance the guy who recently crashed in Walkden ? (assuming he took out a policy prior to his ill fated voyage without adequate training) :?:

I'd say that if it came to the crunch, he'd be uninsured. You know the insurance industry better than any- the don't take on risks. I'd bet there is something in the 'fine print' about being a competent pilot, with suitable qualification.

Bearing in mind also, you are covered by the BHPA if your flight is legal, and you haven't ignored any of the guidelines oulined by the BHPA... ie- inside suitable airspace, complient with airlaw, VFR, etc... If these items are adopted by the pilot, the potential for incident is significantly reduced anyhow- Catch 22... but in a good way. You're likely never to need it, but if you do then you'll be glad you had it.

I believe Joint Aviation now handle all of On Risk's business. Looking through their policy wording from last year (2010) they don't specify any level of pilot training or experience, although they do have a "Due Diligence" clause and "Compliance with Air Navigation Orders, etc" which could negate a policy if the pilot was flying in breach of any air law or regulation, or could not prove they had taken reasonable steps to undergo training, pre-flight their equipment etc.

Most policy's have a limit on time spent abroad - to ensure they are genuine UK residents.

Personally I found the BHPA insurance suited my needs best for all round liability, and it was cheapest to cover the equipment on my home insurance policy for theft or accidental damage - as specified sporting items to be taken away from home (like a bike or laptop).

I also have an annual multi-trip foreign policy which covers just about every land, air and water based hazardous activity (paragliding & paramotoring are covered) along with winter sports & extra liability, medical, search & recue, repatriation, as well as the usual holiday stuff like theft, flight delays etc... Amazingly it only costs slightly more than bog standard holiday insurance !

If you are planning to fly abroad I would recommend either http://www.holidayinsuranceweb.com/Multi-trip-holiday-insurance.cfm

or http://www.jsinsurance.co.uk/travel_insurance/annual-travel-insurance.html?utm_campaign=Paragliding%2B-%2BHazardous%2BActivities&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email

Right .... are we al covered now ?? :lol:

Jay,

If your instructors name is not Alan, he is NOT a PMC instructor or 'recognised' by us non of the people we ran the instructors course for in Saudi actually passed the course (non were issued certificates, which was directly down to safety in every case) The general flying standard was very low indeed.

If you have been sold a course or have any material with the PMC logo on it please let me know :-)

SW :D

Simon thanks for your concern, my instructors name is saad.

He is listed on the forum '1- Saad Alanazi (Chief Flying Instructor of the Tabuk Branch PMC) (QFI)'

On the insurance note, i will not be flying in the uk until i return from working here as shipping my motor back and forth will be a little expensive, Actually on that note,

For the guys that have been on expeditions outside the UK how much it it to ship your motor? Just curious for when i move back home!

Oppppssss.

I have fcked up there. :-)

I was forgetting about the UK course we ran here.

SAAD is a top man and will keep you safe and indeed a full PMC instructor.

SW :D

I believe Joint Aviation now handle all of On Risk's business. Looking through their policy wording from last year (2010) they don't specify any level of pilot training or experience, although they do have a "Due Diligence" clause and "Compliance with Air Navigation Orders, etc" which could negate a policy if the pilot was flying in breach of any air law or regulation, or could not prove they had taken reasonable steps to undergo training, pre-flight their equipment etc.

Most policy's have a limit on time spent abroad - to ensure they are genuine UK residents.

Personally I found the BHPA insurance suited my needs best for all round liability, and it was cheapest to cover the equipment on my home insurance policy for theft or accidental damage - as specified sporting items to be taken away from home (like a bike or laptop).

I also have an annual multi-trip foreign policy which covers just about every land, air and water based hazardous activity (paragliding & paramotoring are covered) along with winter sports & extra liability, medical, search & recue, repatriation, as well as the usual holiday stuff like theft, flight delays etc... Amazingly it only costs slightly more than bog standard holiday insurance !

If you are planning to fly abroad I would recommend either http://www.holidayinsuranceweb.com/Multi-trip-holiday-insurance.cfm

or http://www.jsinsurance.co.uk/travel_insurance/annual-travel-insurance.html?utm_campaign=Paragliding%2B-%2BHazardous%2BActivities&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email

Right .... are we al covered now ?? :lol:

Thanks for the info and the links Alan, very helpfull....

Neil.. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Am i correct in saying that if your insured with the BHPA like i am. I only have a CP rating for my PG and have a PPG conversion so that means i am only insured within a two mile radius of take off like i am when hill flying???? So would i need to be pilot rated to be insured on my XC's.