Speedster or Nuc

poz

Not too bothered about throwing the thing around, 'cause normally I just end up throwing my dinner around as well....can carrot break a prop? :oops:

Really bothered about rock solid flight and great glide ratio.

Opinions only from those that have knowledge of both, not those that own one and love it.

ps, I am able to get a speedster at very low cost, so the Nuc would need to be plenty better.

Thanks

Dan

Hi,

At the moment I am a fair weather flyer and I do not like to be thrown around a lot. I come from a paragliding background and I am quite happy to fly in rough stuff if I feel like it but in general I prefer to take it easy.

I had a Nucleon and currently own a speedster. I have flown the Nucleon through the weight range but I have only flown the Speedster at the top end of the range. The only reason I sold the Nucleon was I was offered more money for it afer 1.5 years of use than I originally paid for it :)

So in my opinion the follow were observed. (Comparing the two, not compared to other wings)

Nucleon

Excellent - Rock solid stable even in very rough air with no user input

Very Good - Glide ratio

Very Good - Tip steering

Excellent - Speed (Trim in and out)

Good - Launch and ground handling - Requires the Trim to be set at out 1-2 in light wind and requires a slightly different technique

Speedster

Good - Stable in rough air - requires active input in very rough air

Excellent - Glide Ratio

Very Good - Tip Steering - Slightly more responsive than the Nucleon

Very Good - Speed (Nuc was marginally faster)

Excellent - Launch and Ground Handeling

So overall I really liked both and I was happy with both, they are just different. If I had to lose the Speedster my first choice would still be the Nucleon. But if it was a straight choice between the two again (knowing what I know now) I think I would go for the speedster, because of the easy launch \ land and ground handling. It just means that I can get there and fly, I have far less aborted launches. BUT this is at a compromise of the super stablity of the Nucleon. But for me coming from paragliding I am quite happy with that.

I am not saying the the speedster is unstable it is just less stable than the nucleon.

Because of the financial implication that you have I think the Speedster will do you just fine and you will be happy with it.

I hope that helps.

Hi,

At the moment I am a fair weather flyer and I do not like to be thrown around a lot. I come from a paragliding background and I am quite happy to fly in rough stuff if I feel like it but in general I prefer to take it easy.

I had a Nucleon and currently own a speedster. I have flown the Nucleon through the weight range but I have only flown the Speedster at the top end of the range. The only reason I sold the Nucleon was I was offered more money for it afer 1.5 years of use than I originally paid for it :)

So in my opinion the follow were observed. (Comparing the two, not compared to other wings)

Nucleon

Excellent - Rock solid stable even in very rough air with no user input

Very Good - Glide ratio

Very Good - Tip steering

Excellent - Speed (Trim in and out)

Good - Launch and ground handling - Requires the Trim to be set at out 1-2 in light wind and requires a slightly different technique

Speedster

Good - Stable in rough air - requires active input in very rough air

Excellent - Glide Ratio

Very Good - Tip Steering - Slightly more responsive than the Nucleon

Very Good - Speed (Nuc was marginally faster)

Excellent - Launch and Ground Handeling

So overall I really liked both and I was happy with both, they are just different. If I had to lose the Speedster my first choice would still be the Nucleon. But if it was a straight choice between the two again (knowing what I know now) I think I would go for the speedster, because of the easy launch \ land and ground handling. It just means that I can get there and fly, I have far less aborted launches. BUT this is at a compromise of the super stablity of the Nucleon. But for me coming from paragliding I am quite happy with that.

I am not saying the the speedster is unstable it is just less stable than the nucleon.

Because of the financial implication that you have I think the Speedster will do you just fine and you will be happy with it.

I hope that helps.

Thank you so much for this comparison. It's a GEM for me!

The financial difference between the two I think will be the deciding factor. Once I've paid for my PAP Thor 200.

Cheers

Dan