Membury reminder to all.!

All,

I have posted this in the safety matters section of the site because that is exactly what this is ( a safety issue )

I would like to remind EVERYONE 'no matter how special you think you are' of the following.

1. THE RULE

NO ACCESS TO MEMBURY AIRFIELD FROM GROUND OR AIR UNLESS YOU HAVE SPOKEN TO ME FIRST. (thats every time!!)

1. THE REASON

At the weekend, someone decided to ignore this message.

They landed (or as described by a student) 'ploughed in' on a closed runway strip. Then after being told to take off again, then twisted there ankle while attempting to launch cross wind and in the shadow of the trees (5ft away) also due to having trainers on with no ankle support.

Then he set up to take off ACROSS the active runway.

The land owner turned up with his children having a chilled out weekend, stopped the launch attempt and kicked that person off the airfield for ever more. A conversation afterwards also suggested that he would not have allowed it to take off again as it looked as though the 'aircraft' was going to blow up and then fall apart. (he is a certified aircraft examiner for the CAA)

2. THE RULE

NO VISITING PILOTS ARE TO EVEN SO MUCH AS GET A WING OUT BEFORE TALKING TO A PMC INSTRUCTOR ON SITE.

2. THE REASON

1 go around during a GA test flight (touch and goes) was required yesterday due to someone ground handling a wing on the active runway

That person has also been banned from using the airfield again.

Membury is an active airfield. It has the rules of an active airfield, the rules are there to keep everyone safe.

The people involved know who they are and to clarify the situation, the land owner and I do not want you to come back!

SW.

It may well have come over a little like that for sure, but...

I have asked politely sooooo many times now yet it still happens.

All of the regular guys will understand and not be at all offended by the message.

The only people that need be offended by this message are the people involved. All it means to everyone else reading is you have to call first and then get a brief from an instructor on site.

Please remember that this is not just a weekend sport for me, this flying site is a business and income and I don't want to loose that because some one decides to do there own thing on an active airfield.

I also pay a huge amount of rent for the use of the site and I don't do that for the benefit of random people. I pay it so that the members and students have an awesome site to use.

To correct you.... It is the Land owner who is to be addressed as Master :-)

SW :D

No mate.

The entire airfield runs on PPR (by phone)

I do have a cool plan to present to the land owner when I am back from China which may change this.

Hi

I mean after calling up on the phone for permission to fly in then when say 5 10 mins out radio in to see if there is any traffic expected in... or specific landing instructions

You must have a frequency you use for training...

Everyone who is a member and all of my students have a sites guide. :-)

I do have a frequency that I teach on yes, but I dont want someone calling in to ask if they can pop in for a brew just as I am talking them through a landing now do I... :shock:

The Runways that are open and closed changes daily which for me is a simple call each morning.

To clarify, Membury does not have a radio Frequency assigned the only way is to call first and get permission. All of the pilots who have that permission know the site rules and drills.

This includes the Microlights and GA pilots.

I don't see the problem to be honest? how hard is it to call and get the info for the day? all of my students seem to manage it...

Everyone who is a member and all of my students have a sites guide. :-)

I do have a frequency that I teach on yes, but I dont want someone calling in to ask if they can pop in for a brew just as I am talking them through a landing now do I... :shock:

Only a moron would radio in when they can hear you talking someone into land!!! but if the radio is free then no harm in radioing in to see if there was any change in circumstances and to check its still ok to land... If arranged by phone call beforehand.

To clarify, Membury does not have a radio Frequency assigned the only way is to call first and get permission. All of the pilots who have that permission know the site rules and drills.

So is Membury closed to none members who wish to fly in on an XC :?::?: If NOT how do we know the rules. Is there a Member rules section for XC ing pilots wishing to come in.

I don't see the problem to be honest? how hard is it to call and get the info for the day? all of my students seem to manage it...

Not hard at all but things change and things happen so being able to radio in just to check i think is a good idea.

"So is Membury closed to none members who wish to fly in on an XC. If NOT how do we know the rules. Is there a Member rules section for XC ing pilots wishing to come in."

No you just have to call first to get the information for the day. The same as all visiting pilots do including the GA boys.

When you call, you will be given the ever changing information like, which runways are active, which lump of air the GA test flights will be in on that day, If there is an avoid time, EG ( one of the acro visitors we get over the airfield saying hello to the owner with a loop or two... )

The system in place has worked well with only 2 landings so far without permission / information.

What you also have to remember is that I am not the owner of the land. I did not set this rule in place I just have to work into that system. Which works.

So is Membury closed to none members who wish to fly in on an XC :?::?: If NOT how do we know the rules. Is there a Member rules section for XC ing pilots wishing to come in.

just land in the closest field adjacent to the airfield.... :lol:

Please do... It's a pig farm LOLOL

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your diplomatic reply to my query earlier!

I would like to add support to morgy's request purely from the grounds of Flight Safety. A LOT can happen between his fone call at say 0900 and his arrival at say 1400!!!

Can I ask: Is the airfield a recognised AIRFIELD. IE: is it on maps and charts?

If it is, it should realy have a live frequency when there is traffic activity, to safeguard those inside the ATZ.

Or is it just some farmers field where the odd flight lands / takesoff?

All in all, if it has an ATZ (and that ATZ is live) it needs a radio frequency.

If it doesn't have an ATZ on maps and charts, you shouldn't be surprised to see GA flying right through your operating area without prior knowledge - possibly right in front of one of your students on short finals?

And that is no good for anyone.

Radios' make sense and your land owner friend needs to understand this. It might even impact on his insurance????

Perhaps your site rules could be amended to advise incoming (PPR) traffic to call (when it is quiet on that frequency) at say 2,3 or 5 miles out, and advise they are inbound in "X" minutes. This could be done on your 'training' frequency at a pinch...no?

What are membury's co-ordinates please?

People are more than welcome to fly over at the standard 500ft if they feel that is a good pilot decision to make..

Google Membury airfield and look at there site.

I know the rules are "see and avoid" for minor airfields. The rules also state that pilots are to make blind calls near the airfield and if there is no response, they are to treat the zone as live.

But if a radio is being used perhaps it should be available to all and not just those using the airfield?

Safety Matters, no?

Edited by Guest

Mate, I dont have time for this BS

We are a small airfield that has worked well for many years as is ( longer than you or I have been alive in fact ) . I am not the owner and do not make the rules. (all be it that I agree with them)

If YOU as a non local pilot have a problem please feel free not to visit. Or simply call first and join our fun.

I am now off to China to fly and have fun.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm new on here so thought I'd jump straight in to a contentious, safety related thread with a bunch of opinion!

I used to teach GA pilots 'strip flying' and have been an airfield operator too. There's absolutely no requirement for private airfields to have a radio frequency - indeed there aren't enough frequencies to go round. There are however some basic principles in air law that apply to all aircraft (which were developed long before the use of radios) that the visiting pilot in question clearly breached.

Better that people learn some airmanship than start potentially mis-using the airband. (unless they have an RT licence etc)

Ducking behind the sofa now.

Ad

Better that people learn some airmanship than start potentially mis-using the airband.

Ad

Hi Ad welcome to the PMC.

Absolutely first class advice there. Airmanship is a broad subject but one the PMC has at it's heart to instill to future pilots.

Do you fly or intend to learn PPG?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan

I have to admit that I laughed at paramotors back in the mid ninetys when i first started to see them and I was an instructor on 'proper' aircraft.

However after a few years away from manned aviation I've had my eyes opened by a beginners course in France with Deano Eldridge.

Now shopping for a Volution Macro.