Bak-rak

About to get a bak-rak for stowing the paramotor behind the car.... Problem is no towbar fitted yet.... Do I need a special type of towbar to mount the bak-rak, or will a standard swan-neck do?

Also if any of you out there are using bak-raks or similar i wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your intallations. Any points to watch out for? Any additional tie down points needed? Do you cover the paramotor with tarpaulin or similar when on the road? Are there any problems with 'drag' when driving? Do you need to display a separate light board and numberplate on the back of the paramotor?

Sorry for all the questions... but I want to make sure everything is properly secured before i trust this to my paramotor...

GD

I don't have a bac rack but I have had my paramotor in an open trailer before...

I 100% suggest a wrap up / cover over job. :-)

The tacky 2 stroke (which you learn very quickly is EVERYWHERE will allow all the road crap to stick to it.

But it looks cool if you don't cover it of course! lol (for a little while at least)

SW :D

Interested to hear others views as I'm about to buy an Thule Easy base for the same reason, and for bikes, bags etc.

All on the back of my new (to me) T5 camper! wooha!

Yeah.. Just looking at the 'Easy base'- seems a better plan- Light board, number plate, etc.... and you can strap the paramotor to the vertical member also... Not a bad price either! I think this gets my £

Hi Gordon, I've used a Bak-Rak for several years now, well over 10,000 miles on pan-European trips, and with 3 different motors. Also used the Basket-Rak to carry 2 paramotors plus jerry cans and other equipment. They are great bits of kit and perfect for the purpose. 4 other people that I fly with have since bought them for the same purpose.

Fitting takes seconds on a standard 50mm tow ball and easily takes my weight (over 100kg). My only modification was a cheap and easy plywood base with runners to locate the paramotor legs. I just use a ratchet strap to tighten the bottom down, plus an extra strap from the top of the tailgate, through the motor and back to the tailgate handles - this takes up any slack in the fitting. Others have made simple clamps from metal strips and wing-nuts, or the clamp that holds a trailer jockey wheel.

I don't bother covering the motor for short journeys, but either wrap the engine and harness with a polythene rubble sack for longer ones (with a chance of rain) or for touring I use the Sol paramotor transport bag : http://www.solparagliders.com.br/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=773&Itemid=76

You only need a number plate and light board if yours are covered. There is no extra drag when it is behind my van (possibly even reduced drag), but if you have a smaller car you need to leave the upper cage uncovered (or removed) to stop it acting as an air brake.

A couple of photos from years ago with my old paramotor, as fitted to ParaBongo 1 - way superior to those ropey old T5's which it leaves behind, stuck in muddy fields !!! :lol:

Last photo shows Basket-Rak with motor in transport bag behind TechnoBongo in southern France a few weeks ago (where I last saw sun) !!

5733641951f55_WirralParamotor004c.jpg.80

TechnoBongo.jpg.8b248d7d64d72550efc68700

Hi Gordon, I've used a Bak-Rak for several years now, well over 10,000 miles on pan-European trips, and with 3 different motors. Also used the Basket-Rak to carry 2 paramotors plus jerry cans and other equipment. They are great bits of kit and perfect for the purpose. 4 other people that I fly with have since bought them for the same purpose.

Yes- nice set up.

I think I'll probably go for the Thule system as everything is well integrated- number plate, lights, etc.. My car number plate will be obscured so this is necessary.

As the car is relatively low, the cage will protrude above the roofline. I think leaving the machine uncovered would be the best option- but on longer journeys or wet weather i think i will have to cover it. Miniplane do a light cover which i think will be suitable for this task.

The Thule Easy base is rated to 60kgs, but my motor is only 19kgs, and with fuel is around max 30kgs at most. Still room for a gerry can on here too if necessary- and i can use it for bikes when im not flying.

GD

I have one for sale, can't use it any more because I don't have a tow bar. £65 in East Sussex

https://plus.google.com/photos/108964538450131031082/albums/5379462662873509185/5742745184849735346?banner=pwa

*&%$ Just ordered one online- and it's already been dispatched...

You should put it on the auction site- I'm sure you'll get rid of it at that price!

I thought I saw a picture somewhere with the vertical member loosened and folded forward- this would allow you to open the tail gate. Removing the vertical member would work also- but may be more hassle.

I've found these online for only £131, so not bad.

The 949 model is rated to 60kgs and has lightboard and numberplate holder included, and requires a 7 pin electrical connection.

949.jpg

+1 For a Thule easy base (as above)

Bit more £'s than the backrak but does come complete with light board and the afore mentioned upright (to strap it to). You can also get a few usefull accessories for it (like bike racks etc) when its not being used for the paramotor. I've even used mine for transporting a duff washing machine down to the local tip, so its nice and solid 8)

I'll see if I can take some pics of the QR bars I added to make a solid attachment for my motor...

A tank costs about £120 from almost dry... and the very best I have had is 661 miles from a tank.

The guy before tweaked the Turbo which I am sure is not helpful

SW :D