Olympic restrictions

Trickyh

Yeah, theres a bubble round Weymouth, but the rest is clear

I can't believe how big it is and where the flip do they think we can fit transponders??

It affects Sabreace/Lemmings in Braintree (my club) and knackers any local flying round Hemel... :x

Anyone fancy organising a fly-in for us poor schmuks??

Rich

Our field at Barling have permission granted by the CAA to fly yes the microlights have to have transponders fitted but we dont Paul our super airfield owner raised the relevant questions surronding paramotoring from Barling and permission for us to fly is included from and around Barling.

So to answer the question we can and we are and we are organising a FLYIN right in the middle of the olympics so watch this space for details but if you thought last years flyin was the event of the year next years gonna be a blinder.

Neilzy

Hi Neilzy

I think with all the restricted air space you are going to have more pilots than you can handle all gagging to fly at the same time!!!

If the weather is nice it might be worth setting up a separate camping area away from the runway in case it does get BIG!!!!

I've just come back from the Flying show - more on that elsewhere. The only interesting thing was the NATS/CAA stand where I spoke to some guys about the restrictions. in a nutshell. If you're in the exclusion zone, you'll be limited to flying wthin 3NM of your take off point so long as you've phoned up the nearest (his word was local) control point and told them what you're up to, how long you'll be about etc etc.

If you're planning to fly into the zone from outside (to a fly-in for example) you'll need a transponder.

Hope this helps

Al

Quote from official source

Airfields within three nautical miles of the outer edge of the Restricted Zone may apply for an exemption to operate and be exempt from the requirements of the Restricted Zone providing aircraft enter and leave the Restricted Zone via an agreed route. Airfield managers will be responsible for ensuring this takes place. If you wish to apply for such an exemption please fill in the online form. The CAA or DfT will then contact you with further information.

As agreed, permit has been granted in fact our field was the first to be granted such a permit (Thanks Steve RIP), when we hold our Flyin we will post all relevant details, but the main thing is we can fly and FLY we will.

no disagreement from me mate ;-) just quoting what the CAA chap said to me a couple of hours ago. We also talked about transiting airspace and he said he'd have no problem with us going up the ltn corridor as long as he could positively see it as a movement. but that is all in the future perhaps.

as i said if the field is in the exclusion zone (i know you got permission etc) and you have to fly into the zone we're supposed to carry a transponder. I'm guessing as your field is within 3nm of the edge then that's why they've seen sense. The guy from NATS was Jonathan Smith and CAA chap was Chris Finnigan.

On another note. they did say they'd love to work with the paramotor community in the future for anything long distance so they can get the word out (produce AIC's etc).

Just hope the info would help.

If I manage to get a motor by the time of your fly-in i'd probably pop along myself (being in cambs).

cheers

Al

No worries Al its just the fellow that put a lot of time and effort into this really did it well for us sadly he was killed a while back and wont be able to enjoy the fruits of his hard work. But your right we are on the edge and we are accessable from around the back door as to say. But whatever, we can enjoy flying and when i spoke to an official source i suggested what a laugh it would be to fly over the Olympic Mountain Bike coarse his frown was spectacular (NO we wont do that). So you will be more than welcome to come along and fly with us, looking forward to meeting everyone who missed the event this year.

Neilzy

WOW thanks for the offer Steve... I am going to look into hiring a van to transport all the tents sleeping bag's and most importantly the beer!!!

As long as we are able to cut into the restricted zone for a few miles so we dont have to cross several miles of water we should be fine "i hope" :wink: