speedbar and reserves

pete_b

Can you all please check that your side mounted reserve does not foul your speed-bar lines.

I fitted my speed-bar on Sunday and found that this was part of the cause for my accident, the other part was not aborting when I should due to being too confidant in forward launching.

Pete b

Just glad your okay, you were very very lucky, its put a whole new perspective on my first flight :roll:

We noticed that the line almost caught on the prop when you were warming up the engine.

I'm a fan of accident investigation....Another cause in the chain of events was the rupture of the fuel tank, any ideas how best to protect the tank? Was wondering about a sheet of carbon fibre to protect from debris after a prop strike? Would polystyrene absorb much impact if moulded around the tank?

Another thought was ballistic foam or ballistic fire protection. As this is pretty new its bound to be expensive or too difficult to get hold of. I'm assuming its light as well. :?:

Glad you're OK Pete, as Adrian said puts a different angle on attempting the first flight. I must admit first thing on the following Monday I was on Grand Prix Racewear website checking out fireproof tops....

The only downside to adding extra protection to the fuel tank is that you would also be adding extra weight. Would be interested to hear what seasoned paramotor pilots think about adding this type of protection and whether it would help or not.

From my ice pop licking view point I concur it was just one of those freaky accidents that triggered a chain reaction that was lucky not to end in a very worse outcome. The Prop when striking the dirt was flying at full power and as such just disintergrated. One of splinters appeared to slice of the petrol cap (you could argue this was a flaw in design as to me to protruded into the prop area) of course the heat of the day probably expanded the fuel to a gas which of course went up like a rocket. If you noticed next to the severed fuel cap there was quite a defined hole that looked like a burn through to me.

We were so lucky as when we lifted you from the remains of your rig the remaining 6 or so litres of fuel came flooding out but luckily did not catch on the grass that was burning.

Of course your disco strobes was another potential flash point - and for the life of me I could not find a kill switch.

On the flip side I reckon a tad more speed you would have been off the ground and the cravets had just popped out as you went over.

Good to see you are fine and dandy

Rob

Glad your ok Pete and in good spirits too!

From my view point it was a pretty awful launch, should have used a bit more of the grass behind you to start with and yes you should have aborted takeoff, but thats all with the benefit of hindsight, some of my takeoffs where I've nearly hit fences could have gone same way but I got lucky!

I think your fireball was just a freak incident but nevertheless it shows that it CAN happen and made me think a lot more about going flying on my own, imagine that!

As a result I've now ordered a load of burns treatment for my first aid kit, a new fire extinguisher (one that works when you press the handle) and am looking for a tiny one that you can fly with!

So, hopefully there will be a positive outcome from your accident matey, it always takes an incident like that to improve safety, and I'm glad there's guinea pigs out there like you pete!!

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Malc :D

I think you 'hit the nail on the head' when you describe Petes attempted take off. After each off the 2 aborted attempts the correct thing to do would be to move back up the hill but, as they say, hindsight is a wonderful gift'.

At the lower half of the hill at Lambourn there is a steep section that is not usually an issue as it is so far down (and can be handy if you are ground handling and want a glide!).

Pete went over this section and, as the wing had'nt inflated, landed hard doing the damage to his foot.

It is my opinion (I am not an air crash investigator) that the angle of the incline pushed the blades onto the petrol tank and cut off the cap igniting the fumes.

There was still 5/6 litres of fuel in the tank which we tipped away safely after Pete was moved so I dread to think how bad it could have been if it had all ignited!.

It was a freak accident and the circumstances would be difficult to replicate.

On the way to Hospital Pete was concerned that this accident might put off the students that were at the flagpole which shows what sort of person Pete is.

I am glad he is okay and look forward to buying him a beer at the fly-in.

On a more important note: what happened to my wind sock? LOL

Eddie

Ed I just remembered you asked me to pick up your windsock, in the euphoria of my best ever flight I completely forgot, sorry mate, will buy you a beer at the flyin :wink:

on another point, I think everyone should think about suitable clothing when flying, from my observation I think the burns on Petes arms seemed to come from the initial explosion of vapour being released from the tank,in other words they looked like flash burns, even on hot days like this a pair of overals may have prevented that.

Dave.

Well Pete, what can I say?

You can't just have a normal dink like anyone else, oh no, not you Pete B.

You have to sustain a complicated compound fracture, trash the machine, and do all this in a ball of flames. If you are going to do it you might as well do it in style!!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate.

Speak soon.

Whitters.

• Upvote 1

Pete, so what is the summary of your injuries?

Broken Tib & Fib in the left leg?

What about burns to your arms - or are they ok?

1st degree mostly due to the quick cooling at the time, with third degree on left elbow. :(

Once again thanks to all that were there and those that have sent good wishes. :)

I owe a few beers at this fly in me thinks

Pyrotechnic Pete

To boldly go where no paramotorist has gone before :shock:

Dave

I am sure my windsock will turn up soon but I will always let you buy me a beer!

I think you are right about the 'flash burns' and wearing a tee shirt to fly in is not much different from riding a motorcycle in one!

Hindsight is definitely a wondeful gift!.

There are things to be learnt from this episode and, apart from the safety aspect that I have already mentioned' filling the fuel tank on my PAP was considered a pain. After seeing Petes tank with the fuel cap sliced off I will never complailn again.

See you next week

Eddie

Pete, so what is the summary of your injuries?

Broken Tib & Fib in the left leg?

What about burns to your arms - or are they ok?

1st degree mostly due to the quick cooling at the time, with third degree on left elbow. :(

Once again thanks to all that were there and those that have sent good wishes. :)

I owe a few beers at this fly in me thinks

Pyrotechnic Pete

To boldly go where no paramotorist has gone before :shock:

Hi Pete.

What are you like? glad to hear your fighting back mate, and glad to hear your buying the beer next week, we can't miss the Fly-in now can we !!! :D

Dave

If you want to see some steel work

look in my personal pics

Pete b

Hello again Pete

Just took a look at your steelwork pictures, your still a lightweight mate, next time we meet ( for that free beer ) we can discuss how much we are both worth at todays scrap prices !!!

Dave

Pete you don't owe anybody anything matey, it was certainly the best entertainment of the weekend.

Tell you what though, I'll buy you a barrel of beer if you can replicate it in front of my video camera sometime!

But seriously, you'd have dived in and helped just as everyone else did, knowing you're ok mate and are in high spirits is reward in itself!

What a great bunch of people are these paramotorists eh?

Whew Pete! I can only echo Whitters, it must have been spectacular. Thanks to some quick action with the right kit on site your it sounds as though your injuries were minimised and treated in a timely fashion.

This one (like almost any other mishap on the flying field) points out the importance of a well equipped control vehicle and switched on people who understand what action is required - and take it. Flying alone is a romantic pastime but lying in a field under similar circumstances when all that watched you launch were birds and the odd rabbit doesn't bear thinking about.

Speedy recovery Pete, when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping ..... for a new motor. Your insurers will love you! :lol: