The Silverstone hedge accident.

Don't I know about it.

On one of my earlier flights I didn't check the wind strength on returning, it had picked up a bit.

I had cut the motor and didn't descend as quickly as I expected and ran out of field :oops:

Lesson learnt: Always check the wind streamer on return.

Cheers,

Alan

From another view point, play in HD full screen.

He was lined up to run down along the hedge even though the wind was coming slightly over the hedge, you can see how much brake he had on and you can see the trailing edge showing it is stalling just has he drops in to the hedge

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

I guess this is a fairly low hours guy ? It looks as if he was distracted by his efforts to try to get into the seat. Was he reaching down to try to pull the seat under his backside, with the brake still in his hand ? It would be nice to clarify exactly what went wrong. Are there any comments from the pilot ?

Dave

There is a conversation thread somewhere... no time to find the link at this mo...

Read the comment under the you tube vid for my take on it.

SW :D

• 5 years later...

I remember it well (no it wasn't me).

There was a line of trees in the take off direction which must have been causing some rotor and there were a few people having sinky brown trouser moments, some worse than others.

About time we had another one around here Simon.

Tim